Police were seeking the public’s help Monday as they searched for multiple suspects and a motive in a shooting early Sunday in downtown Sacramento that left six people dead and a dozen others injured.
Some of the chaos was captured on video, which appeared to show an altercation before gunfire broke out around 2 am Sunday. People were seen fleeing as gunshots rang out just outside the city’s main entertainment district that was packed with bar crowds.
On Monday, the coroner’s office was working to identify the victims of the mass shooting and notify the families. Meanwhile, City Hall was set up as an information center for family members, and police created an online portal for the public to upload evidence.
Authorities have not offered a possible motive in what appears to be the largest mass shooting in the city’s history, according to the Sacramento Bee. The shooting comes a month after a man killed his three children of him, another person and himself at a Sacramento church.
“The scale of violence that just happened in our city is unprecedented in my 27 years here at the Sacramento Police Department,” Police Chief Kathy Lester said at a news conference Sunday.
Here’s what we know Monday:
How many people were killed and injured? Who are the victims?
At least 18 people were shot during the rampage, officials said. Three men and three women died from gunshots wounds and 12 others were being treated at nearby hospitals, Lester said.
At least four of the wounded were hospitalized with life-threatening injuries.
Sergio Harris, 38, was identified as one of the six people killed. Ella’s sister Kay Harris told The Associated Press that she thought her brother had been at the London nightclub, which is near the shooting.
“My son was a very vivacious young man,” Pamela Harris told KCRA 3. “Fun to be around, liked to party, smiling all the time. Don’t bother people. For this to happen is crazy. I’m just to the point right now, I don’t know what to do. I don’t even feel like this is real. I feel like this is a dream.”
Some of the wounded were taken by ambulances to hospitals, while others went on their own or were taken by friends, Lester said. No information was provided on their conditions.
How many suspects are there?
Lester said there are multiple suspects but no arrests have been made.
The investigation continued Monday after officials reopened the eight-block area near the Golden One Center – where the NBA’s Sacramento Kings play. Lester said the crime scene was “very complex and complicated” and police have located “hundreds of pieces of evidence” including a stolen handgun.
Lester did not say what kind of gun was used and said officials did not know if the victims were targeted.
What happened during the shooting?
The downtown area was packed with bar crowds at the time and a large fight broke out right before the shooting, Lester said Sunday.
Jaron Moore, a security guard at a club near the scene, told The Record, part of the USA TODAY Network, that he was getting off work about 2 am when he heard gunshots.
“It’s sad to know this happened… I’m still in shock,” he said.
Asa Pickett, who was at Dive Bar on Saturday night, said he heard about 100 rounds. He and his friends of him saw people running into each other, and his group of him found an area in a nearby alley where they hid for about 45 minutes.
“We came out, and there were bodies on the ground,” he said. “I was just hoping my friends were OK…everyone was OK.”
Video posted on Twitter showed people running in the street with the sound of gunfire in the background.
Police arrived on scene around 2 am Sunday and found bodies on the street amid a large crowd. Multiple ambulances and other first responders were at the scene.
What have politicians said?
Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg, in a series of tweets, called gun violence “the scourge of our city, state and nation.” He said police chief Lester, who began the job two weeks ago, has made gun violence a top priority.
“Words can’t express my shock & sadness this morning,” Steinberg tweeted. “The numbers of dead and wounded are difficult to comprehend.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statement sending condolences to the victims of “yet another horrendous act of gun violence.” He said his office was monitoring reports from the scene.
President Joe Biden called on Congress to enact gun control measures and thanked first responders to the shooting.
“Today, America once again mourns for another community devastated by gun violence,” Biden said in a statement. “But we must do more than mourn; we must act.”
Contributing: Angelaydet Rocha, The Record; Associated Press
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism