Oh baby. Seat belt.
It will be an all-American battle on the ice as Canada and the United States go head-to-head for gold at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championships on Tuesday in Edmonton. The teams will meet in the title game for the first time since 2017, when the United States won 5-4 on a penalty shoot-out to a goal by Troy Terry against Carter Hart.
In the 2021 edition, the teams advanced to their match in quite different ways. The United States needed a goal 76 seconds from the end of New York City’s Arthur Alien to beat Finland 4-3 in the semi-finals, while the Canadians easily dispatched Russia 5-0.
” This day has been on all of our calendars since we were here,” said Alex Nephew, who scored Canada’s first goal less than a minute before their Monday game against the Russians. “Finally being here and seeing that the work we did pay off up to this point, it’s exciting. We are excited to bring that mindset into tomorrow and play our game the best we can. Go for the gold.”
Bragging rights will also be on the line as multiple players will face off against current teammates, such as Dylan Holloway (Canada) and Cole Caufield (U SA) from Wisconsin, and future ones, including network keepers Spencer Knight. (U SA) and Devon Levi (Canada), who are draft picks for the Panthers.
“Obviously it’s going to be a great game,” said American John Farinacci. “It’s something you dream of. America, Canada and a gold medal game will always be a fun game, and we have to play a full 60 minutes if we want to get that gold medal.”
Here’s how to catch the 2021 IIHF Youth World Gold Medal game between Canada and the U S.
How to watch Canada vs. U SA
- Television channel (Canada): T SN
- Live Stream (Canada): T SN live
- Television channel (U SA): NHL Network
- Live Stream (U S): both (7-day free trial)
Canada vs. U SA: When does the puck fall?
- Date: Tuesday, January 5
- Time: 9:30 pm ET
World Juniors 2021: Latest news
- Time, TV channel, live broadcast, where, when, schedule
- How has COVID-19 impacted the tournament?
- Rosters, NHL draft status, 10-team jersey numbers
- Breakdown of prospects for all NHL teams
- Predictions: Hockey experts choose who will win the gold
- It’s gold or bankrupt ‘: NHL players remember World Youth Championship memories
- A team-by-team guide to the U-20 championship
- Dach, Caufield, and the four main stories
- Oilers’ Philip Broberg impresses with three assists for Sweden
- Senators’ Tim Settle scores twice in Germany’s overtime win
- Predictions, Odds, X Factors, Breakdowns for Quarter Finals
- Leafs prospect Roni Hirvonen sends Finland to semifinals with late goal
Which teams are in the 2021 World Junior Championships?
Ten teams participate, divided into two groups of five.
|Group A||B Group|
Full schedule of the 2021 World Junior Championships
(All the eastern time)
|TUE SDAY JAN. 5|
|Bronze medal game||5:30 pm||T SN, NHL|
|Gold medal game||9:30 pm||T SN, NHL|
Who has won the IIHF World Junior Championships in the last 10 years?
Which countries have won the most medals at the World Junior Championships?
|Czech Republic +||2||5||7||14|
* Includes medals won as Soviet Union and CI S
+ Includes medals earned as Czechoslovakia
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.